Home Page
If parents require anything from the website as a paper copy, please call in to the school office and one of our administrators will be happy to help you.
If parents require anything from the website as a paper copy, please call in to the school office and one of our administrators will be happy to help you.
Home Page

2. What are the different levels of support available for children with SEND in our school?

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (High Quality Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible, yet realistic, expectations for your child
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Specific group or individual work with high quality teaching targeted at your child’s areas of development.
  • Interventions which may be run in the classroom or a smaller group room, run by a teacher or a member of the support staff such as a teaching assistant (TA) or our specialist mentor. At Manadon Vale we are able to offer interventions for all areas of SEND, ie. Communication & Interaction (including speech and language difficulties), Cognition & Learning (including specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia), Social, Emotional & Mental Health Difficulties (including mood regulation), and Sensory & Physical Needs (including co-ordination difficulties).


What could happen if your child is identified as needing a high level of support in school:

If your child does not make the expected progress with the class provision and interventions in place, then it may be decided that the level of targeted support required for progress is significant, according to set criteria. If it is necessary then the class teacher will invite you in to school to draw up a plan together with your child, to detail your child’s needs, desired outcomes and the support or interventions necessary for your child to achieve those outcomes. The class teacher will also ask your child for his / her views. Where appropriate the plan will include your involvement as a parent to support your child’s progress at home. You will be invited in regularly to review the plan and your child’s progress towards the outcomes. This would be the first step of a graduated approach on the SEND Support Pathway.


b) Multi-Agency Support Plans involving specialist support from outside agencies

Your child may be identified by the class teacher and SENCo as needing some specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. School and parents can also request support from health professionals or social care, through the Single Point of Contact (SPOC) - see ‘Plymouth online directory for families’ – part of the Plymouth Local Offer at


What could happen if your child is identified as needing support from an outside agency:

  • You may be asked to support a referral for your child to a specialist professional, e.g. the Speech and Language Service, an advisory team or an educational psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and to be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist will work with your child’s class teacher and SENCo to understand your child’s needs and make recommendations as to the ways in which your child is supported. You will be invited to agree outcomes to be achieved and a date will be set by which progress will be reviewed.
  • A multi-agency ‘Team Around Me’ meeting may be called for your child at which it will be decided which services can provide the most appropriate support. You will be invited to the meeting and will be a central part of the process. If there is more than one service needed then a Multi-Agency Support Plan may be drawn up which will include advice from each service involved. This plan will be reviewed regularly with the professionals involved.


c) Education Health and Care (EHC) plans

If your child has specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome and needs which cannot be met in our school through the Multi- Agency Support Plan, then it may be necessary for the school to request that the local authority carries out a Statutory Assessment of your child’s educational needs, to apply for an Education and Health Care Plan. This may be necessary if your child’s learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.


What could happen if your child is identified as needing more support than the Multi-Agency Support Plan can provide:

The SENCo would invite you to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress with the Multi-Agency Support Plan in place. The statutory assessment process will be explained to you if necessary. You could be accompanied by the parent support advisor who will be able to discuss the procedure and to help you to express your views.  If you decide with the SENCo to make a request for statutory assessment then the authority will require your views in writing. The parent support advisor can help you to do this. If the authority then decides that your child’s level of need warrants a statutory assessment then all of the professionals (education / health / social care) involved with your child will be asked to contribute to the assessment at a multi-agency Education Health and Care Plan meeting, along with you and your child.


Following the assessment an Education Health and Care plan may be produced, which is a legal document stating your child’s needs, the provision that is necessary in order to meet those needs and goals to work towards for your child. You will be asked to attend a meeting every year where the plan will be reviewed.